17 September, 2008
Today had the possibility of being rather unpleasant, but actually it all turned out alright. It started off with me sleeping in a bit –until 9:30. Then I went out before class to just roam around. Somehow, I got very turned around and ended up on the other end of town. That made me late for class, which was unfortunate. (Also, it made me look pretty bad –since I also didn’t really understand the assignment.) Also, all day my long-johns kept inching down my legs. Nothing says “I don’t belong here” quite like constantly hitching up one’s drawers. But no matter. After classes I met with up some of the other Middlebury kids and we went to the «ИМКА» which is the Russian version of the YMCA. It was really neat- even if I got a little lost again. I hope to spend a lot of time there- volunteering and such. The coolest part of going there is that I made a Russian friend! His name is Sasha (Aleksander) and he is interested in Scandinavian history, as well re-enactments. (They play with swords and other cool old stuff). After the meeting at the «ИМКА» he helped me find my way to the Symphony, and we talked the whole way. He is a bit of a «Хипий» (Hippy) so we have lots in common. I know this may come as a shock to some of you but I am more than a little bohemian in my outlook on life J It was really fun talking with him- and I hope that we will hang out later. The symphony was wonderful- a walrusy man named “Mikhail Lidnisty” played several Chopin pieces. Those of you are not “musically inclined” may not appreciate this as much as I did- but this guy played a 2-hour concert completely from memory. That means probably 10 Chopin songs, which are not easy by any stretch of the imagination, without music. Wow. I have trouble memorizing one piece! Also, it was obvious that he felt passionately about his music, like he was deeply in love with the piano, and Chopin. His head was almost IN the grand piano sometimes. It was a nice respite- music is music. I don’t have to translate it in my head. Nor do I need a dictionary. It just is. *Sigh* I finished of the day with some tea. Russians drink a lot of tea. It is something that I could get used to.
No comments:
Post a Comment