Monday, November 17, 2008

Study Study Study

16 November 2008

And further, by these, my son, be warned: The making of many books has no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh. (Ecclesiastes 12:12)

Master Solomon had many wise sayings. This one seems particularly apt at the moment. Staring at one’s computer (and dictionary) for hours on end is a ridiculously draining task. I may go cross-eyed. Still, little by little, I am making some headway in my classes. Yay! Grammar exercises: check. Written Russian practice: check. Politics assignment outlining reforms in the political party system: check. I am also writing a paper about Russian wedding traditions (I think I mentioned this earlier, but I can’t remember.) Apparently, Russian weddings are much more fun than the Western variety. There are scripts of funny things that are to happen, of which all the guests take part. Also, when the groom comes to get the bride, he has to earn the right for her hand by literally fighting his way up the staircase of her building. His antagonists are the bride’s family and friends, and they set all sorts of silly tasks for him, including song and dance requests, embarrassing questions, etc. Also, at some point during the wedding, it is required for the bride to be “kidnapped” by the groom’s friends (this sometimes happens multiple times, depending on the mood of the wedding party) The groom has to rescue her (sometimes if he is having too much fun he has to be made aware of her absence first) Usually there is a “ransom” involved- usually candy, liquor, or something of a similar nature. Sometimes the bridesmaids steal the bride’s shoes as well- also for ransom. Something I found highly entertaining is the role of alcohol in Russian weddings. First of all, they last at least two days, and it is considered to be incredibly bad manners for a guest to be sober for any significant amount of time during that time. (Weddings have been known to last as long as a week, it depends on how much alcohol the wedding party can afford.) Sounds like a party. J
Many waters cannot quench love, nor will the rivers overflow it. If a man would give all the wealth of his house for love, it would be scorned. (Song of Solomon 8:7)

I went to a really cool concert today- a local university choir. They sang some really neat stuff, especially a song called “Festival Sanctus” and of course the “Hallelujah Chorus.” I feel that music in general, but especially classical choral music is one of the greatest expressions of faith and praise that exists under the sun. (Ok, not all kinds of music; Rap for instance is hardly spiritually lifting. Same goes for heavy death metal. But you get the idea) Lifting voice in such song is so powerful, so soulful, and so beautiful that it is impossible to believe that God is not present. I know he was actually; there was a double rainbow outside when we were on the way. Yay!
Oh sing to Jehovah a new song; sing to Jehovah, all the earth.
Sing to Jehovah, bless His name; show forth His salvation from day to day.
Declare His glory among the nations, His wonders among all people. (Psalm 96:1-3)


Tomorrow I am going to see a ballet with my friend/tutor Sasha; “Scheherazade” – Sooo excited.
Life is Good.

2 comments:

Cheryl*Elaine said...

Wow. Russian weddings sound like a lot of fun.. but a lot of work. I don't know if I would have that fun energy to be drunk that much. I don't even like being drunk at all... Speaking of which, I turn 21 tomorrow! wee!!! We are just going out to dinner somewhere. Friday night we are going to the Wonder Bar, which is one of the only non-smoking bars in town.

Oh, and I was pretty sure that you and Stephen were still together. I was just checking. Tell Stephen hi for me next time you talk to him!

Things are going well. We bought Barton a Wii for Christmas... and when he is at his mom's house we get it out and play with it. lol. We want to practice a little so that when we play with Barton, we don't look like idiots. It's so much fun! We played last night until 10:30... well, I need to get back to work. I am designing a deck, which I have never done in detail before. It's interesting....

Cheryl*Elaine said...

Yay! I didn't think you would be able to come home since your so far away. How much are those tickets? I would have to sell a body part or two to afford that! My birthday was fun. We went to the wonder bar. I drank a little, but I didn't get drunk. (I had no desire too... I am scared to get really drunk). I learned how to play pool! One of my friends is pregnant... about ready to pop actually. Her and her husband came (she obviously didn't drink.. she had a virgin strawberry daiquiri..yummy) I had a martini which was very yummy. I felt sophisticated. hehe Let me know what you are doing for Christmas time and we can go have dinner or something!