Thursday, November 13, 2008

Meh.

12 November, 2008

Before I get too far into this post I would like to make a clarification. Tim, my friend with whom I went to Karelia, is NOT a romantic interest. I thoroughly enjoy his company, especially on dark nights when there are creepy people on the streets, but my heart belongs wholly to someone else. There isn’t any room there for any other man. :)

Moving on. Today was a super long day. I don’t understand why I was so tired; I got a full 9 hours of sleep last night. (Yay sleep!) My classes were alright. My writing teacher, really enjoyed my «курсовая работа» (paper) discussing the values of pirates versus ninjas, and which of these two would win if ever an epic battle were to be waged between them. (Its pirates by the way) Yes, I really did right a Russian paper about that. J Then “Phonetics” –which is always a bit boring. (I know that it is important, but reading line after line of gibberish sounds to get the right pronunciation is not my favorite thing.) Afterwards, I went to get some tickets to a tango show that is coming in December, but the least expensive tickets were going at 1200 rubles a pop. I like tango, but not that much. So I went to my viola lesson. Definitely not on my list of “best musical experiences ever.” We worked on one or two etudes, and scale practice, for almost an hour, and I simply could NOT play in tune. Thankfully Elena Petrovna didn’t yell at me (or if she did it was internal, and therefore not a problem) Still, I felt so drained after that lesson that I could barely drag myself home. But once again, Lyudmila Sergeevna (I am nominating her for beatification by the way) made me a lovely dinner, and helped me navigate a particularly snarly grammatical assignment. Now, with two pages done in my looming paper for culture (I am writing about Russian wedding traditions, very interesting) and some more progress on my nasty politics paper, (12 pages out 20 of why I should probably nominate V.V. Putin instead of my host mom for consecration) my mound of homework seems less daunting, but still it looms unpleasantly over my head. *grumbles*

The sun will come out tomorrow. It always does. On a happier note, I think I may have found an internship here- working 12hours a week at the YMCA. I should be able to start next semester. I am looking forward to it. Also, while it is colder here, it is still pleasant outside. True, when the sun goes down at 5pm it gets a bit chillier, but I think that the coldest it has been so far is -2 degrees Celsius (don’t worry, that isn’t that bad Fahrenheit wise) It was about 6 degrees Celsius today. Apparently it is practically that there has not been any snow yet. So here’s for hoping that soon fluffy flakes will fall!

I miss you!

3 comments:

Alena said...

I think you had quite day! It sounds like you are having such an awesome experience there. And I think that a Pirates vs. Ninja paper would be odd from anyone but you. I don't know if Russian culture will ever be the same after you leave. :)

nanethlin said...

I KNOW WHO YOUR ROMANTIC INTEREST IS

I poked him today at lunch

consider that a greeting and recognition of your great love for each other

btw, he misses you

Lazerater33 said...

i also know him. damn straight there is no more room.

check this out sis.
http://lazersjazzspot.blogspot.com/