Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Insert Witty Title Here

24 November 2008

Every time I think of something clever and witty to post up here, by the time I have time to post it has either a) left my brain or b) becomes no longer true. For example; it snowed last week. I was super excited. There wasn’t very much, but it was still super fun, and everything looked very sparkly. But now, the snow has all melted. (It was sooo charming and muddy for a couple of days afterwards.) I wish someone would inform Russia about sidewalks. At the moment they have something similar, and they are CALLED sidewalks, but in reality they are merely bumpy expanses of mud and potholes. And somehow, Russian women still manage to strut about them in their high heels. I think that is just asking for trouble. It certainly would be if I tried it. I have trouble enough when the ground is flat and I am barefoot. (I like to pretend that this is due to an excess of grace.)

I also decided to break down and buy some boots, for the snow that is no longer there. They are rather snazzy, I must say. I think they look rather swashbuckly. (A definite plus) When I went into the shop I was so excited to find actually attractive boots in a size larger than 36 that I made a spontaneous decision to get them. (I have no idea what that translates into in American shoe sizes, but it is very small. I usually wear 42 here) Russian feet make mine look like boats. Still, I found some boots, and that is enough for me. (By the way, the theme of Pirates vs. Ninjas has become a matter of honor in my written Russian class. Tim and I outdo ourselves with our examples defending our respective sides. We put Svetlana Yurievna in stitches 9 times out of 10. We have so far managed to work this epic battle into thank-you letters, letters of recommendation, congratulation letters, and invitations. The only way to solve the issue may be a battle to the death; and the pirates will totally win.)

Over the weekend, I decided to thoroughly immerse myself in Russian culture; I went to a volleyball game. Now, before you say; “Sarah, that is silly. Volleyball is not Russian!” Let me explain. Here, Volleyball is a bit like Basketball in the states. And we got to see some Olympic champions playing. (We were at the equivalent of an NBA game, but for Volleyball. NVA?) That was intense. When balls went into the stands after a particularly impressive spike, people got hurt. Those dudes were powerful (and came with outstanding figures… Yes indeed.) One neat part of the game was that I met an Italian lady there (her husband is the coach for the Yaroslavl team) and she spoke French! It was fun talking to her, and I think I may be able to help her out. She doesn’t speak Russian that well, and English even less, and is in need of a French speaking translator for some of her upcoming plans. Serendipity indeed! Afterwards, we went to try out another aspect of Russian culture; the night club. As night clubs go, apparently this one wasn’t all that racy. But it was quite an eye-opener in my book. First of all, it was full of smoke. Russians smoke like chimneys, and this was no exception. I would never have thought that dancing to blasting techno/trance music would be possible with a cigarette in one’s mouth, but Russia surprised me again. When we were dancing though, it was a lot less noticeable. Then, out of nowhere, three “female dancers” appeared and began entertaining the crowd. O_O That was a bit awkward. (Read, one of the most awkward experiences of my life) Still, I am glad that I went – now I know that I don’t really need to go back.

Hmm, what else? I am getting a little bit excited about the upcoming break. True, before I get there, I have a HUGE workload to overcome, but I am on page 19 of 20 about Mr. Putin. And I have about half of the Wedding paper under control. The only really big aspects left are those nasty finals. “I’ll think about that tomorrow.” (10 points to who knows the source of that quote) I just got the “down low” on the airplane ticket situation. It looks like only 29 more days until I see the most important man in my life. Yay! (I have a countdown calendar)

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Cheryl*Elaine said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Do they have a "thanksgiving" in Russia? I mean, I know that they don't celebrate like we do here, but it would be cool to learn new holidays. I spent today wrestling with an 8' Christmas tree (fake). We wanted to decorate before the break so that when we start back on Monday we don't have to deal with it. We might get busy starting next week. We are going to Douglas tomorrow to have dinner with my mother-in-law, then Saturday we are going to my mom's for dinner. I am actually really hungry right now, so I don't want to think about Thanksgiving food! Oh, and I think it's really awesome that you are Stephen are still a couple. You're so cute together! I think long distance relationships are romantic.

nanethlin said...

HURRAY!!!

:)