Sunday, October 24, 2010

Zombies, Walruses and Pizza!

Two posts in a row! I must be slipping! ;) Yesterday was SUCH a good one though, that I couldn't resist telling you about it!

First of all, I was able to be completely indolent for the first time since arriving. By that I mean I slept in until 9am. True decadence. Once Liza returned from doing her independent service project, (AmeriCorps requires that we do at least 80 hours of volunteer work NOT associated with our various projects) she and our friend Megan and I all went downtown.

Our first stop was the Denver Aqaurium. I haven't been there since I was in the 8th grade, but I remembered it. They have a flash flood simulator, otters, TIGERS, sharks, and of course tons of cool fish. We even got to pet some stingrays! A huge success.

Afterwards, we meandered towards the 16th street mall. Now, normally, that would not be much of a big deal. By some strange twist of fortune however, last night was the 5th annual "Zombie Crawl" along the 16th street mall. Which meant that there were BAZILLIONS of people dressed as zombies walking around the mall. Or at least, there were lots of people dressed up. Not all of them seemed to understand what zombies look like. This seemed more like a dry run for people's Halloween costumes, with the addition of blood and white face paint. I saw lots of zombie Santas, hookers, policemen, and even a baby zombie with black wings. The winner of the strangest Zombie award goes to the young lady that was dressed as a zombie banana.
Yes, you read that correctly.
She was wearing an enormous banana costume, and she had fake blood upon her face.

Since we ate our delicious pizza outside, we were able to watch this bizarre parade for at least an hour. The best part were the small children at the table next to us. They took it upon themselves to heckle the zombies that walked past. I dearly wish I could have recorded it.

Afterwards, the three of us went to an amazing improv comedy show. I can't remember EVER laughing so hard. The actors had no idea what to expect, because every skit was based upon the suggestions of the crowd. My personal favorite was a "slide show" based upon my suggestion "Walruses"

Such a good time! And today I went to church (a four mile bike ride) I feel much refreshed in spirit, and am looking forward to working with Habitat for Humanity tomorrow!
Hug yourselves from me~

No comments: