This week, we have been learning about Mass Care (for the Red Cross) among other things. When there is a disaster, and Red Cross sets up a shelter for the victims, more often than not AmeriCorps NCCC members run the whole shebang. WE are the ones that set up the cots usually, as well as provide as much comfort and support for the people living there as possible. I had NO idea how much work and preparation is involved!
We've also done some fun service projects! First we worked in the Habitat for Humanity warehouse, moving windows and pallets. Yesterday we also dismantled an enormous Haunted House for the Boys and Girls Club. As always, I was amazed by the amount we were able to accomplish in a short period of time. But then that is what we do! (I've posted the AmeriCorps pledge below)
The AmeriCorps Pledge
I will get things done for America -
to make our people safer,
smarter, and healthier.
I will bring Americans together
to strengthen our communities.
Faced with apathy,
I will take action.
Faced with conflict,
I will seek common ground.
Faced with adversity,
I will persevere.
I will carry this commitment
with me this year and beyond.
I am an AmeriCorps member,
and I will get things done.
Here are some pictures from the fun things I've been up to in addition to work.
Liza, Meghan and I went out on the town. Liza is a stick of dynamite, Meghan is a magic 8 ball, and yours truly is...
.jpg)
.jpg)
By far the coolest thing I have done recently was to go to "Midnight Madness" (An audience interactive showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show) It was scandalous, hysterical, crazy, and absolutely the most fun I've ever had in a theater. There was dancing, throwing of toilet paper, and shouting. Plus everyone was in costume! Can't wait to go again some time!
Much love!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment