Saturday, October 23, 2010

My oh my, Did you miss me?

Be patient till the last.
Romans, countrymen, and lovers! hear me for my
cause, and be silent, that you may hear: believe me
for mine honour, and have respect to mine honour, that
you may believe: censure me in your wisdom, and
awake your senses, that you may the better judge. -Brutus

Howdy! Goodness gracious it has been a long time! Since I am starting my next adventure, I figured it would be an appropriate time to start up the old blog again!

As of October 13, I have been in Denver, Colorado. I am a member of the AmeriCorps NCCC class 17, and I am loving it! There are approximately 300 corps members from ages 18-24 here, all living in the dorms of "Colorado Heights University" with whom we share this beautiful campus.








Campus views. And my roommate Liza (pronounced Lizza) She is from Alaska!

Living in a dorm, with all of these cool people from all over the country, doing fun things, makes this similar to freshman year of college all over again. Only all of these people are committed to service and the fun things we are doing are serving our country, and hiking in the beautiful area around Denver. I'm happier here than any other job I've ever had.
Notice my snazzy uniform! ;)

Yesterday, we worked in Cherry Creek State Park, along with almost 400 sixth graders on a beautification project. We split into teams and half of us worked in a meadow, picking Mullein (Verbascum thapsus) an invasive species that is a major problem in the park. What a wild crew! It was a real hoot! I loved seeing those kids get into the work, and appreciate the surroundings. The other half of the corps (and kids) moved crusher fine (roadbase) around some of the trails in the park. Once the kids left, all 300 of us continued this work. I was on the wheelbarrow crew. While it was extremely hard work, it was also such a relief to be actually DOING something as opposed to seemingly endless meetings and trainings that we have been doing until now.

Right after that, I had to do a "baseline" that served as a tryout for the Wildfire Management Team. (A very select team here in the Corps that I am very determined to do) We ran a mile (up hills) did sit ups and push ups for 2 minutes. I ran my best mile time ever, 9:02. On top of the already tiring day to boot! You can believe that I slept well last night! Keep your fingers crossed, the results won't be announced until November 4.

"Till then, I am, as I ever was, YOURS YOURS YOURS!"

No comments: