Friday, December 12, 2008

К Черту!!!!

12 December 2008

К Черту!!!! (Go to the Devil/Hell) Before you get offended, this is actually a cultural phenomenon. Whenever someone has an exam, everyone says "Не пуха не пура" which means "Not a down nor a feather" in the same spirit as "Break a leg" for theater types. And the answer is always "К Черту!!!!"
Finals started today, and I was able to say К Черту!!!! with conviction to my teacher. Its such a stress reliever, and if there is good luck associated with it, all the better. I certainly find the phrase amusing.

Also, people swear at each other (well to be more exact they tell each other how awful they are) before exams in the same manner. The only thing you are NOT allowed to criticize is someone's intelligence. But other than that it is free rein. I am glad that my friend Sasha explained this custom to me BEFORE she started in on me, or I would have been completely bewildered and hurt. But I think it is a hysterical idea now.
Ah, Russia.
So one down, 7 to go. Oi...Hence, I may not be online for a while. But know that you will be in my thoughts.

11 days to go! Woot!

1 comment:

LampLight said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbTozgoj9OQ Here is a really pretty song for your listening enjoyment. I think you may have already heard it?