2 December 2008
Sunday was the first day of Advent! This means that the grand total of time before I get home and celebrate the birth of our lord = 21 days! Yayayayayay! Advent is one of my favorite seasons in the church calendar, all about preparing oneself for the challenges (and joys) ahead.
╬ Advent Prayer ╬
Be a light,
Be a spark,
Be a candle in the dark.
There is a wild man in the river,
He says washing is his trade
He is an oddity, this wild man
He looks so dirty, for one so pure.
“Turn around”
He tells me, to come clean
As my footsteps have gone astray
“Turn around”
He says, the time to prepare is at hand
The Glory of the Sun is on the way
“Turn around”
Embrace the dayspring,
Find a new song to sing.
The wild waterman says that he isn’t all that special,
Only the herald of things yet to be.
There is another man in the river now,
He offers sweet redemption from a cup.
Forgiveness in a chalice,
And everlasting Love.
“Turn Around”
Be a Light
Be a Spark
Be a Candle in the Dark.
I also am polishing my political paper(23 pages! Oh yeah!) , and working steadily on my other paper. (I seem to write about these a lot. I know you guys probably have a lot more to do than I, but at the moment these two papers are just consuming vast amounts of time)
This is what Mr. Wiatt (my source of written good advice and counsel) says on the subject of working and preparing for stressful times;
HAPPY PRACTICE
Some of us need to learn to find time for happy practice. Too many seemto confuse professionalism for one of dimensional seriousness. Theyappear driven with few moments of relaxation or enjoyment. Some peopleneed to work at enjoying their lives. This does not mean waiting fordistance vacations to make room for large doses of free time. They needto take stress breaks daily. At least three times a day on the job, theyshould stop their hectic routine to take a walk, read a few pages of anovel, do stretching exercising, draw, or listen to music. The lack ofchange can be very taxing to your body. Taking breaks helps minimize thecosts. Learn to look for humor in the world around you, and let yourselflaugh. The National Stress Institute has isolated three naturaltranquilizers that are known to cause the release of endorphins, thebody’s natural tranquilizer and analgesic, in the brain. Music,exercise, and laughter all have been proven effective. Having a sense ofhumor will keep urgencies in perspective. Cultivating messages toyourself that reduce your worry and concern. Try some of the following:The crisis of today is the boring history of tomorrow. This too shallpass. Make up your own messages because you will need them in a demandingand changing world.
1 comment:
OoO. That poem was very inspiring. I think I will print it out and give it to people along with their Christmas gifts. I love this time of year. Everyone is so happy. Did you hear about the man who was trampled in Wal-Mart Friday morning? It was somewhere back east. I will not rant much about it here, but I think it's really sad how people get this time of year over consumer-driven bull..oney.
I am feeling much better today. Only a twinge here and there.
I am glad you had a good Thanksgiving dinner!
Post a Comment