Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Crazy Random Happenstance!

You know how everyone always tells you as a kid "Don't Talk to Strangers?" I am sure, in some ways this is a very sound idea, especially if it keeps kids from being abducted by nasty people.

But sometimes, my life is proof that talking to strangers is actually a good thing. (And Politeness in general)

Exhibit A:
While I was in Washington DC, preparing to fly back to Denver I struck up a conversation with the gate agent. He was a very nice gentleman, and I was polite to him. He inquired about where I was going, and I said almost home. I then explained how I was flying into Denver, but live here in Casper, since flights into Casper cost the equivalent of an arm, a leg, AND a first born child. He looked at me and said "Well, would you LIKE to go to Casper?" I was a little startled and replied that of course I did- since I live there. He responded by booking me a free flight from Denver to Casper! Just because I was polite.

Exhibit B:
This morning, as I was trudging through the snow to work I stopped to talk with a gentleman that was shoveling his sidewalk. Turns out, this same gentleman used to live on my street when I was in elementary school, and every morning on my way to the bus stop I passed his house. Anyway, we began to talk, and it came out that I have a Russian degree. He immediately gave me his business card, and asked for my resume, because one of his good friends is a head hunter for the oil industry, and needs Russian speakers.

There are many many more examples of polite and friendly conversations I have had over the years that have ended in something wonderful. Because I was polite to the people working in the "D-Hall" in college, I was always guaranteed food, even if the kitchen was closed. Being kind to younger counselors at camp got me a promotion. Things like that.
It is my firm belief that God helps those who help themselves. I don't mean that one should first think of their own needs, but those who treat others with respect and dignity, while problem solving how to accomplish their own goals.

So try something new today. Go talk to someone you don't know, and show genuine interest in what they have to offer. You never know what could come of common politeness.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Two great stories! Thanks for sharing, and I will try to say hello to a few more random people tomorrow. :-)

Remember the green dinosaur? That's just one of the awesome things that can happen when you are nice to the D-Hall staff!