Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tornados, Windmills, and Sustainability, OH MY!

So I realized today that if you followed the link to Chris’s blog, you would think that I am now in the Grand Canyon. This, sadly, is not true. I am somewhere even cooler! AND I am finally getting around to telling you about it!

So, let’s start with a little background. The Southwest Campus (Denver) does a really fun thing for the third round of AmeriCorps NCCC projects. They shuffle us all around! So for the remainder of this project (until May 5) I will be on a completely new team. Let me tell you what, they are a really neat group of people. Water 5!


Can you guess where we are from this picture?

I thought not…

Still nothing?

Alright, I’ll tell you. Where in the World Is Sarah? *drumroll*

Greensburg Kansas!

Greensburg is a very interesting town. Please don’t mistake interesting for LARGE. Here is what you will find in Greensburg, should you visit:

1 stoplight

1 restaurant (Mexican)

1 small grocery store/gas station

1 wind farm

1 sad looking vineyard

1 AmeriCorps NCCC team

700 other people

Needless to say, there isn’t much to do. Lots of wind though! Which means kites and watching things like the video below. There are also several puzzles and books lying around our house, which might I add is round! I also found some sidewalk chalk.

But I digress. The reason why Greensburg is on the map is that an enormous EF-5 tornado that ripped through Main St. in 2007. The town was completely destroyed, but instead of just rebuilding as it was before, the residents decided to establish Greensburg as sustainable village, pioneering new “green” technology. My team and I are working in conjunction with **GreenTown** to help further the Green Initiative. It is SO COOL. I am learning so much!

No comments: