Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Maiolica

Was ist das Maiolica you say? Let me inform you!

Maiolica (also sometimes spelled Majorca after the island) is typically thought to be an Italian kind of porcelain, with tin-glazing. The designs are very brilliant and colorful, since the tin glaze allows a very white painting surface.

This style of porcelain painting became popular in the 15th century, and lasted until the 18th century, when it declined. In recent years, there has been a revival of interest in this style of painting, and now modern artists have begun producing some maiolica-esque of their own.



While entering information into the Library Catalogue today at the Reeve's Center, I discovered this art form.
Pretty neat eh?

IN other news, finals are approaching, and I should be preparing for them not messing about on the internet. Oh yeah, and I am going to Antigua for Spring Break! Woot!

2 comments:

nanethlin said...

ANTIGUA!

"Ganked" is, as far as I know, some sort of strange slang term for "stole." I picked it up from the Internet, and deep within the Internet shall the mysteries of its origin remain...

You left a creepy sign on our door? Don't you mean on the door next to ours?

Rainbow Viking said...

Queenie took my sign down.

"Ganked" shall therefore remain a mystery forever more.

(My spell checker doesn't think that it is a word, but I am willing to negotiate