Tuesday, November 16, 2010

You can love the life you're living, You can live the life you like

Hey all! Sorry about the delay! 10 points to whoever can name the movie from which the title of this entry came.

This was our second day of work! I love this job!
The building we are working in is enormous. There are at least three separate warehouses, all in the same building, not to mention five separate office divisions. Our job will be to get the warehouse ready to open as a "go green" store in January. This involves all sorts of interesting things. Yesterday, we learned about the history of Veterans Green Jobs. Its a neat program, with a really great dual mission. First off, it employs veterans, and trains them with skills they can use after the program. Secondly, it provides an enormous service to low income families. Veterans Green Jobs will weatherize a house for free, not only helping a family save energy, but also pass the house on to the next owner in better condition; reducing Denver's energy footprint as a whole.
We also moved most of the old office equipment up to the second floor warehouse. Lots of heavy lifting and organizing. There is a conveyor belt! (Which we have all been told not to play with. But all of us secretly want to)

Today we finished up the moving job. All of the old office equipment is now nicely sorted and stored up in a corner on the second floor. While we were waiting for our fork lift operator to refuel the lifter, some impromptu roller chair races took place. I mean, there were roller chairs, and an enormous empty warehouse with a lot of flat floor. It was inevitable.

After lunch we began prepping our first paint job, cleaning up the area that will one day become the cashier's desk/reception. Lots of cleaning. I scraped tape off a counter for two hours! (I will never look at tape the same way) We got to wear our snazzy AmeriCorps NCCC coveralls though! A true fashion statement. ;)

This thoroughly awesome day was rounded off by a trip to the YMCA for PT. We didn't get to workout as long as I would have liked, since we were filling out the membership forms. The card asked me how I had initially heard about the YMCA, I told them "The Village People." Hehehehe
Anne and I joined a cardio kickboxing class! What a workout! Can't wait to go back.

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye Heavenly Host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.

1 comment:

Andy said...

It doesn't look like many people comment on your blog. Which is a shame. So I thought I'd leave one. Yep.